Saturday, July 12, 2008

Procrastination

Okay. So, I'm supposed to be working, but I thought I would fill you in on the chaos that is my life these days.

1. FRIDGE
Our crappy, electricity guzzling (668 kWh/yr) fridge is dying a slow death. It seemed like it wasn't cooling properly before I left for my trip, and while I was gone it became evident that there was something wrong with it. Immediately upon returning, we went out in search of the most energy efficient fridge we could find. We had settled on a nice one from home depot and had gone through 99% of the process of actually buying it when we were told that the delivery service would bring it to our front yard. As in NOT the kitchen. Since Mikey's back is very touchy and mine has been acting up for some time now, that was a deal breaker. We ended up at Lowe's getting a cheaper, more efficient (440 kWh/yr) fridge that will actually be delivered and installed right into our kitchen. YAY!
Unfortunately, they had to order it from the factory for us. This means a 7-10 day wait, during which we are living out of a cooler full of ice and trying to eat everything in the freezer as it thaws and before it goes completely bad. I am embarrassed to admit that we still have the old one running, albeit poorly, in an attempt to slow the thawing process. I suspect in a couple of days I will no longer be willing to risk the potential salmonella just to avoid wasting a few bucks and we'll turn it off and empty it out for good.
This has not been good for my snacking options. While I usually pull out a stick of string cheese or suck down a glass of ice tea, lately I have been eating a ton of carbs - chips, crackers, pretzels, etc. - because that's what we have that is edible. We've also been eating out A LOT. I will be very happy when this new fridge shows up.

2. BACK
My back is killing me. I don't know what caused it to start hurting but it happened before I left for MN. It was somewhat painful during the trip which I attributed to sitting in a cramped airline seat, lugging around heavy carryons, and sleeping in a bed different from my own. However, since I got home it has continued to bother me. The only time it doesn't hurt is when I am lying flat on my back. Sitting with my back nice and straight is okay for a few minutes. Walking is alright as long as it is slow and easy. Bending over is impossible and sitting in just about anything (EZ chair, couch, car, etc) hurts like the dickens. I can stretch it easily to the sides or backwards, but anything forward is out of the question as are rapid movements of any kind. I keep trying to tell myself that I just need to rest it and it will get better, but I'm getting seriously frustrated at how this is hampering my summer plans.

3. Class
I am getting closer to finishing my latest masters class. Of the 10 questions that need to be sent out next, I have 3 finished, 4 outlined, and 3 yet untouched. Speaking of which - I am supposed to be working on them RIGHT NOW. Time to get back to work.

No comments: