Monday, September 27, 2010

Bob's Brain - Quick Write 9/27/10

(This is what came of a 20 minute quick write.  The highlighted portion was my starting prompt.  I did minimal editing afterward, as I am mostly working on increasing productivity at this point.)
- - - -
The neurologist pointed him into his office.  Bob slouched past him and threw himself into the same overstuffed chair as always.  Every Tuesday was the same.  He plopped his steel-toed boots up on the coffee table on top of the same old scuff marks and tilted his head back.  The same water stain, rust colored and shaped like a horse's head, gazed calmly down at him.  Just like always, he fought the urge to grab the uniformly sharpened pencils out of the doctor's pencil jar and fling them, one by one, at the little white spot that marked the horse's eye.  He closed his own eyes and took a deep breath.

"So, they tell me you're having a hard time this week, Bob," Dr. Pritchard said.  "Do you want to tell me about it?"

Bob opened his eyes just enough to peek at the doctor.  The view was hazy, and his eyelashes looked as thick as tree trunks.  He imagined the doctor lost in a darkening, fog-covered forest.  He pictured a cloud of insects hovering over a shallow puddle.  Moisture collected on the leaves overhead before dripping onto the forest floor.  A gentle breeze swirled the fog, and a single bird call pierced the silence.  The snap of a branch underfoot was the only indicator of the wild things that crept closer and closer...

"Well?" the doctor's voice snapped Bob back to the cluttered office and the overstuffed chair.  "You know, you're going to have to talk to me eventually, Bob."
- - - -
As always, your comments and constructive criticisms are encouraged.  I always work harder when I have an audience.  :)  Personally, I think I may have gone a little overboard in trying to show the repetition Bob was feeling.  I am happy with the imagery of the forest, though.

No comments: