Saturday, October 16, 2010

Writer's Block

They say you should write what you know.

What I know is people.  I know deep, multi-dimensional, imperfectly perfect people.  I see the outer shell that they share with the world, and I feel the inner workings that they strive so hard to conceal.  I understand the fears and joys and struggles and celebrations and mistakes and successes that make them who they are, and I love them for all of it. 

I know sensitive, intelligent, real life people who may or may not appreciate me writing about what I know.

I have a story in me.  I know that I do.  I have a tale to tell that will speak to others and evoke emotion.  I have a story about people.

And one day, I hope to be able to write well enough to express the beautiful imperfections of my people in a way that clearly shows how their lives have awed and inspired me.  That their mistakes are part of what make them so dear to me.  In a way that illustrates just how deep my love for them truly is.  I want my people to see themselves from my point of view.

Someday, my word magic will be strong enough to tackle this task.

No comments: