Saturday, January 01, 2011

1/1/11

January 1st. 

The eldest child of the year, piled high with the responsibility of all our hopes, dreams, and wishes.  The one day when potential shines brightly without the tarnish of inevitable failures or disappointments.  A time for us to shake off the mud and grime of the previous year and start fresh.  January 1st is here once again, challenging us to forgive ourselves for the mistakes of the past 12 months and renew our faith in our own ability and motivation for the next 12. 

Perhaps it's because I am an eldest child myself, or perhaps just because I have an affinity for organizing and planning (I feel there might be a correlation between those two...), but I have always enjoyed the turning of the year.  My chosen career path provides me with a nice vacation during which I can recharge my batteries and build up the energy to try, try again at this thing called life.

I gave up on 'New Year's Resolutions' several years ago.  I hate the black-or-white quality of resolutions.  There's no wiggle room and no opportunity for redemption.  Once you've eaten that first extra bowl of ice cream, skipped your run for the first time, or smoked that first cigarette, you are a failure until January 1st rolls around again.  I can't handle that kind of pressure.  Instead, Mikey and I take time around the first of January to evaluate the facets of our lives - work, health, home, relationships, fun, growth, etc.  What are we doing well?  What do we need to work on?  What would make us healthier, happier, kinder, better (and let's be honest, wealthier) people?  Most importantly, what small steps we can realistically take to make these ideas for improvement a reality?

Coming from an educational background, and having plenty of experience with IEPs, I tend to think along those lines for my goal planning.  Having had the idea of SMART goals drilled into me during many in-services and staff meetings, I try to make each goal:
Specific - know exactly what you hope to accomplish and why
Measurable - plan how are you going to know when you have reached your goal
Attainable - make sure you have (or can get) access to the tools and resources needed to reach your goal
Realistic - stretch yourself to reach new heights, but don't set yourself up for failure
Timely - identify time frames for your goal (or better yet, for small chunks of your goal)
Some years, I have actual write out goals, complete with baselines and progress markers.  Other years I simply jot down notes regarding my goals.  Sometimes having my goals posted somewhere visible is motivating and others it is just intimidating.  Sometimes I share all the specifics of my goals with others so that I feel some obligation to continue making progress, and other times I keep them to myself in order to avoid jinxing them.  The documentation is less important (for me) than the process of really thinking about where I am and where I'd like to be.  No matter what my goals are or how they manifest themselves on a given year, it is always interesting when January 1st rolls around, and I get the opportunity to meet the new "Me".  The "Me" who is 365 days older and ready to carry the responsibility of yet another year's hopes, dreams, struggles, and potential.

With that in mind, here are a few of my 2011 goals (you'll notice that this year was a "jot them down" kind of year).  Last year was a year of starting many new things that brought me feelings of joy, contentment, and success, so this year many of my goals consist of not letting those new things lapse.  I know these don't look like SMART goals... but that's because nobody but me cares about the details!  You're welcome.

Health:  run on a regular basis, regular dental/optometry/gp visits
Home:  chore schedule, spend more time with dogs/cats, work on yard maintenance
Family:  remember birthdays/holidays in timely manner, maintain regular contact, save for a trip to MN
Work:  finish masters, maintain/strengthen social networking, budget time more wisely, give time/energy to school/students as needed
Fun:  make Etsy items, read more, continue actively connecting with friends, make weekend trips a priority
Growth:  write more, practice acceptance/forgiveness

I think these goals should keep me busy for the next year.  I can't wait to see what 2011 has in store for me.  What are YOUR goals for the new year?

No comments: