Saturday, September 11, 2004

In Memory

September 11, 2001 was a life changing day for many Americans. Hell, for many humans. The reprecussions of that day are still being felt in cities all over the world. Many beliefs crumbled along with those massive towers. Many lives are being cleaned up, redesigned and rebuilt along with Ground Zero. In some instances, people have been bonded together with the strongest of ties. In others, people have become more polorized than ever. There is no doubt that it was a turning point.

I remember taking my break in the teacher's lounge, watching the television as people around the world attempted to make sense of the chaos we were seeing. I remember flinching and turning away as they showed footage of that plane hitting the building one more time. I remember having to get up and return to work - which at the time was caring for and teaching preschoolers with autism. They didn't have a clue what was going on and wouldn't have understood if they did. Having to focus my thoughts on those 7 boys kept me calm that day. Immersing myself in the act of love that teaching must be, prevented me from dwelling too long on the hatred that I had just seen. I will forever be greatful for those boys, because in their innocence and need they insulated me from the obsession so many experienced. I am relieved that I was unable to sit in front of the television that day and watch that footage the hundred times it was played. I wonder what I would be today if not for those boys.

So what AM I today? I am a teacher. I am a vegetarian. I am a pacifist. I am an activist. I am a patriot. I am aware of my beliefs on a whole range of things that I had never even thought about before 9-11-01. I am the person who wants to actually get a recycling program for our school, rather than just draw pictures about how good recycling is. I am opposed to capital punishment and abortion and war. I am ready to fight for my right to carry a camera, speak out against the government, and refuse to say "Under God" in the pledge. I am an American. I am a human. And I am proud of who I am.

I will forever be saddened by the losses that were suffered on Sept. 11. I will forever regret the actions that were taken in the name of patriotism and freedom. However, I will also forever remember 9/11 as the day I began to develop my beliefs. I will not forget.

No comments: