Thursday, September 30, 2010

How They Met - Quick Write 9/30/10

(I did my writing bright and early this morning!  The first sentence was the prompt and I gave myself 20 minutes.)
- - - -
The old man walked along the long slow curve of the highway, whistling to himself.  Thunder rumbling in the distance warned of a coming storm.  Somewhere in the miles ahead, he'd have to find some shelter, but for now he was content to make his way slowly on, his worldly possessions safely tucked away in the worn, old army green rucksack he had slung over his shoulder.  He half-heartedly stuck out his thumb as cars zoomed past. 

"Nobody stops for hitchhikers anymore," he thought to himself.  "It's a sad state of affairs when everyone is too darn concerned with their own busy lives to worry about an old man walkin' along the road by his lonesome."  He shook his head sadly and continued on his way. 

His faith in humanity was restored, at least temporarily, when a light blue Mazda with Nevada plates pulled over to the shoulder just ahead of him.  He jogged up to the passenger side door and peered inside.  A skinny kid, dressed entirely in black, peered over his sunglasses and grinned. 

"Hey, man.  You need a lift?"  The old man smiled back gratefully.

"Like peanut butter needs jelly!" he said.  "Mind if I throw my rucksack in back there?  I swear it gets heavier with each mile."  He tossed his rucksack behind him and settled into his seat.  "So.  Where we headed, son?"

The kid laughed.  "I thought maybe you would know.  I've kinda run out of people who will answer my calls, y'know?  I was drivin' along wondering what I would do, where I would go, when I saw you with your thumb out.  I thought that I'd see where you needed to go and head there myself."

"Well, now.  I guess between the two of us, we can make a plan of some kind," the old man replied.  "I've always wanted to try my luck at deep sea fishing.  Whaddaya say we head toward the Gulf and see if we can find us a fishin' boat that will take us in for a spell?"
 - - - -
This story turned out much friendlier than I was expecting.  When I first saw that old guy walking along, I was sure that he was going to get picked up by a serial killer.  Or end up being a serial killer himself.  You can see that in the "at least temporarily" bit I threw in.  Thought I was giving a little foreshadowing, but it turns out they're both just normal guys who are down on their luck.  Who woulda guessed?  Also - dialogue is fun!  :)

No comments: