Sunday, November 07, 2010

Another excerpt

Alex's second accident was significantly less dramatic.  It had happened a couple of years later just before hunting season.  It had been a beautiful summer, and the deer population was thriving on the ample greenery.  Despite his vigilance in the falling darkness, Alex was surprised by the buck that flung itself out of the bushes that lining the road.  He stomped on his brakes, and flung his arm out automatically to protect the stack of pizzas on the seat next to him.  The deer flashed its white tail and disappeared into the woods on the other side of the road.  Alex pulled over to inspect the damage.  Unfortunately, forward momentum had caused the pizzas to fold themselves up at the front of the boxes.  In some cases a traumatized pizza could be saved with some careful maneuvering, but these were unsalvageable.

Alex had called the restaurant to let them know he would be needing replacement pizzas.  By the time they were ready to go, Terry had already finished documenting the incident in his file.  "You better be careful, Alex," he had warned.  "This was your second accident.  You've got to make it the next 18 months without an accident, or you're outta here.

Alex made it 17 months, 4 days, and 21 hours.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like your stories a lot.. though they really show your thought style.. or is it writing style.. the themes seem a lot alike the flavor... hope all the characters come out all right.. thanks and keep writing.. there is a book in there somewhere... :D now I really should do the same thing.. you are brave to do this on a blog and have others read it.. I am not sure I am that brave.. take care
Lynn

Solange Hommel said...

Thanks, Lynn. I do have a knack for getting my characters into trouble. The problem is, I'm not always entirely sure how to get them back out! Mostly I rely on them to do that part. :)

As far as bravery goes, I don't get more than a comment every couple of months around here. That allows me to pretend that no one else is reading. :) Makes it very easy to put whatever I want to say up.

You'll never know if you are brave enough until you do it! :) I'd love to read your story!