Monday, January 10, 2011

Belief System

Having a fascinating discussion (depending on the security settings in place, you may or may not be able to follow that link) via FaceBook regarding religion, progress, and the future of humanity.  Got me thinking about my personal belief system.  The Religion of Sol can pretty much be boiled down to the following:

"All I can do is live my life the way I believe it should be lived for the good of as large a monkeysphere as possible and with as little hypocrisy as possible, and hope that everyone else will do the same."*

I know there's a lot of room for interpretation there, and as my dear Uncle Neil pointed out, "Hope isn't enough.", but that is the foundation upon which my daily decisions are made.  And isn't that what religion is all about?

*I know that it is the epitome of gauche behavior to quote one's self, but I wanted to remember this.  And I'm pretty gauche even at my best.

No comments: