Thursday, April 19, 2007

As Good As It Gets

As I have mentioned, I am required to interview for new positions because of downsizing at my school. The first round of applications was for the new school opening nearby (the cause of the downsizing, actually). The observations and interviews are taking place this week. I was lucky enough to get mine over with right away.

On Monday, the principal observed in my classroom for about 15 minutes. I had prepared a math lesson on lines, angles, and triangles using PowerPoint as my presentation mode. This was a calculated effort to stick out, as I had heard that she was into technology (and I have been focusing on technology for my prof. development this year). She seemed happy while she was in my room, looking around and paying attention to what they students were saying and asking. I made sure that I was using as many effective teaching strategies as I could. This is something I always do, but I was particularly conscious of it for that brief stretch of time. When she left, I breathed a huge sigh of relief. I am happy with how it went, and I really feel that I showed her the best I can give.

Then, on Tuesday morning, I had my interview. They were scheduled for 10 minutes each, but mine ended up being almost 20 minutes. I am hoping this is a good sign. Despite the fact that she is doing 70+ interview this week, I felt like she was really listening to my answers. She seemed to respond well to my responses, and she even let me ask HER a question regarding her report card policy. I left feeling as though I had made a good impression and shown her my true personality and passion for teaching.

So, at this point it is a waiting game. I am going to forget all about this mess for the next two weeks and focus on my class. We are currently finishing up our Colonial/Rev. War unit. Sometime on the week on April 30th, I will find out if my days of uncertainty are coming to an end, or just getting started. Keep your fingers crossed for me!

PS - Thanks to T&K for the Easter card. It's message came just in time to reinforce my belief that LOVE is the greatest aspect of teaching. I made sure to focus on that in both my observation and my interview. :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Best of luck wit your interview. I hope you get the one you want. I know that any school will be improved by your presents and abilities.