Friday, July 06, 2007

Holy Adreneline Rush, Batman!

Yesterday was quite an adventure for us. And not the kind I want to repeat any time soon. It all started with a pain in Mikey's right shoulder.

It felt like a crick in his neck from sleeping funny (he slept in a chair due to heartburn), but it came on very rapidly around 10 am. He went from feeling fine, to not being able to lift his right arm or turn his head at all without intense pain. He spent about an hour resting uncomfortably on the bed, and then decided to get up to make some toast.

It was very painful for him to stand, and by the time he got to the kitchen, he needed to sit down. He was very lightheaded and dizzy. When he said he was having trouble hearing, I turned to look at him. I had just enough time to notice how blue/white his lips were and get concerned before he passed out. I was close enough to catch him before he fell off the chair.

I was actually thinking that it would be a good thing for him (he hadn't been taking very good breaths because of the shoulder pain) and that he would feel better when he woke up before I realized that he wasn't breathing at all. Instantly, I became that hysterical girl in the movies, slapping him and shouting for him to wake up. I laid him down on the floor and ran for the phone. All I could think was "Shit - I don't think I remember how to do CPR."

Eventually (in a matter of seconds, I'm sure, although it felt like several minutes), I managed to dial 911. Just as they were answering, Mikey started to shake and make choking noises. I rolled him over on his side (I remembered that much from my seizure training) as I was telling the 911 Operator that "there is something wrong with my husband and I need an ambulance". She got our information and sent out the Fire Rescue vehicle and an ambulance. While we waited I was a wreck, but Mike calmly reminded me to do things in preparation of leaving. I got him shoes and socks, fed the cats, etc. He directed it all from his prone position on the kitchen floor.

After about 15 minutes, the paramedics showed up and took over. They asked all kinds of questions and took all kinds of vital signs. Everything seemed okay for the moment, but they suggested that Mikey take a little ride to the ER anyway. Considering how pale he was, I thought it was a good idea. What I wasn't so thrilled with was the idea that I wasn't allowed to ride with him. So, they took off with him and I stood alone in the kitchen wondering what the hell to do next.

I called his parents and told them briefly what had happened and where he was going to be. I then tried to think of what we would need in the off chance that he would end up staying the night. I managed to pack him a toothbrush, hairbrush, and book. I got stuck as I stood in my closet. Most of my brain was shouting "just pick something!" but part of it was very concerned with whether each shirt would be appropriate for the weather and the environment and the company. It was very strange what my brain would get hung up on as I tried to get ready to go. I finally decided that I couldn't wait any longer, grabbed my purse, and jumped in the car.

At the hospital, I walked in and asked them where I might find my husband. "He would be in there...but we have some important papers you need to sign here." Stupid red tape. I finally signed enough of my life away that they were willing to let me back to see him. He was on a bed, in the hallway. This is apparently how things work in this overcrowded hospital. Despite the less-than-satisfactory location, we were happy with the doctor and the nurse who were attending him. They were very kind and seemed to know what they were doing. The nurse was quite amusing, guessing our weights and throwing out little political barbs.

They did a series of diagnostic tests, mostly wanting to rule out anything heart related and to make sure there wasn't any internal bleeding happening anywhere. He had a chest x-ray, an EKG, bloodwork, and regular PB/pulse/O2/etc readings. Several hours later, they decided that it was all a result of his shoulder pain, which was muscle related. The pain was bad enough that when he stood up his dilated blood vessels weren't up to the job of getting blood (and therefore oxygen) to his brain. He fainted and somehow his breathing got messed up (this is the part I don't understand so well). His brain, in an attempt to get things back in working order hit the "Reset" button, causing the the shaking/seizure-like stuff. They gave him some heavy duty pain meds and some muscle relaxants and sent him home.

I didn't sleep very well, trying to make sure that Mikey was still breathing and getting him to take his medications and such. But this morning, he was looking much better. His shoulder still hurts, and he refuses to take the pain meds because they might make him nauseated, but he's taking the muscle relaxants and moving much better than before. The whole thing was really not such a big deal, and he was never in much real danger, but I will never forget how awful it was to look at his completely slack face and realize that I couldn't see any breathing.

Okay...enough. Time to take him out for ice cream. It is 100.5 F here. Bleh.

4 comments:

Dragonfly Shaman said...

Wow. Just reading about your experience quickened my pulse. I'm so glad you have each other and that you were there for him when this happened. You are a remarkable woman!

Love and light. Namaste

Anonymous said...

I'm glad that all is relatively well. Take care. I will call you when we get home on Monday.

Anonymous said...

That whole scenario reminds me too much of Brooks choking on the marble. Glad too read that Mike is doing well now and that things didn't get any worse. I hope this comment saves this time. We'll see. If not i'll give you a call soon.
Namaste'
daddy

Solange Hommel said...

Hooray! Your comment did what it was supposed to do! I'm glad it's working again.