Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Virginia Pictures

On this fourth of July, I share with you my pictures from Virginia and Washington, D.C.

~Colonial Williamsburg~

An important government building during Colonial times.


A silversmith at work.


A pewtersmith's shop.


A kiln used for firing bricks. Notice how the bricks are different colors in different areas. This is due to the difference in temperature during the firing.


A giant stack of bricks, ready to be used in building.


The Williamsburg armory. It was from this building that King George's men confiscated gunpowder, upsetting the colonists and contributing to the start of the Revolutionary War.


The mansion of the Williamsburg Governor.

~Monticello: Home of Thomas Jefferson~


The house where Thomas Jefferson lived. I wasn't allowed to take pictures inside, but there were some very cool things. He had a Museum of Curiosities in his entryway, and a gigantic library (of teeny, tiny books).




Jefferson had a huge, beautiful garden. He organized it according to which part of the plant was used (roots, fruit, leaves).


Check out those copper pans. The kitchen was located on the lower level and the opposite side of the house as the dining room (I think this had something to do with keeping the heat out of the main house during the summer?).


Jefferson wrote his own epitaph, identifying the Dec. of Independence, the Virginia Constitution, and the University of Virginia as his greatest accomplishments.

~Mount Vernon: Home of George Washington~


Again, internal pictures were forbidden, but I was able to get these of the outside. Washington lived a lavish life, complete with fancy bright green paint and a plethora of guest rooms.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Isha -

I am helping my 10 yr. old son research 'Silversmiths' for a school project, & Google led me right to your site! I thought you might enjoy getting a random comment from someone who actually lives in Williamsburg, VA, lol.

I haven't had a chance to read much of your blog yet - only enjoyed the pix so far - but I am definitely saving it to read later as your profile reminds me a lot of me! (I'm such a "throwback").

BTW, would it be okay with you for my son to place a copy of your Silversmith photo onto his project board? It's a great pic & we would really appreciate it. Thanks!
Heather (& Jacob)

Solange Hommel said...

I would be more than happy to share my picture! Have fun and good luck with your poster. I would love to see a picture of the final product if you think of it. :)