Saturday, August 04, 2007

See?

This is what happens when I start to whine and complain about my own health. I get a reminder of just how good it really is. Amy went back to Mayo this week because her creatinine levels were headed in the wrong direction. She had to undergo all kinds of tests and probes, including a biopsy of her transplant kidney. While the kidney is obviously not a happy camper at the moment, there are no signs of rejection either.

I'm not egotistical enough to think that all that happened just to remind me that I am relatively healthy and I should appreciate it. But it has that effect. The few pills I take are ones that I am choosing to take in an effort to avoid later problems. If I forget them or run out I am not going to end up in the hospital or worse. My lack of exercise it due to lack of motivation and effort, not lack of ability. High cholesterol, while carrying a few long term health risks, is not an immediately life threatening situation. All in all, I am an incredibly lucky individual and I do realize it.

I think the real issue here is that I am realizing that I am no longer as healthy as I once was. I am mourning the days when I could move furniture without pulling a muscle, eat whatever I wanted without first considering its calories/fat/cholesterol/sodium/protein, and sleep through the night without waking up to sore joints. You lose a certain amount of freedom and innocence as you reach the point of having to take care of yourself, and I am just coming to terms with that. I know that I am not old (again, I'm younger than all but 3 of the adults in my life, and those are my siblings), but I am not really young anymore either. I'm sure everyone goes through this, but it's hard when my 30 year old body won't/can't do what my 20 year old brain wants to do.

Anyway. Just wanted to tell everyone that they should aim any sympathetic feelings they may have had for me over toward Amy's kidney and related parts. Technically, that's still feeling sorry for me. :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this post. It embodies what I've been feeling lately with my body being overweight, and my sleepless nights causing me daily discomfort. I want to feel light and carefree again. And I can, with care and effort. So, thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts, and the time to care for your body. We have a lot of livin left and our bodies will thank us every step of the way when we diligently care for them.

PS. No change in my weight but I'm still hoping to loose the last 2 lbs before the cut-off. I'm so close! (Still have another 20 to go though)

LA

Paul said...

http://www.spring.org.uk/2007/03/affectionate-writing-can-reduce.php

Writing affectionate notes can reduce your cholesterol.