Saturday, October 06, 2007

Is Anyone Here?

I bet you thought I was gone for good this time. But I'm not. It's just that with my full-time school job and my part-time tutoring job I don't have much time left over for anything else: breathing, sleeping, blogging...

So, what am I up to these days?

1. Teaching - I'm having a great year, albeit a busy one. I have 30 students, each with their own abilities, challenges, and personality quirks. Despite my certainty on the first day that I was never going to get comfortable, I am actually getting to know them pretty well. They are a very helpful, sweet, TALKATIVE group. Some days it's hard for me to get a word in edgewise! There is no hope of getting them to stop. I can only hope that they will learn to focus and direct their conversation a little. As usual, the day to day workings of fifth grade keep me hopping. I am also part of the Student Success Team (extra support for struggling students) and the Caught Building Character (we rode scooters at our Friday Flag Salute last week!) program. Oh! And I am the library liaison for my grade level. I am getting to know the members of my team, and I get the feeling that we're going to work well together (lots of different personalities, all fun).

2. Tutoring - I am pleased to be able to say that we are starting the month of October with enough clients to pay the rent each month. Woohoo! I currently work 3 hours and my partner is working a bunch more. We are covering a wide range of ages (7 - 12 years old) and topics (reading, writing, math, study skills). We're having a lot of fun, and I am looking forward to business picking up enough for me to revisit my need for other employment. :)

3. Dieting - The doctor put me on a low-carb diet in an effort to control my cholesterol. Turns out I might be part of a small percentage of the human population who can eat all the cholesterol they want as long as I keep the carbs down. Just another of the fun genetic twists I inherited! I am doing better on this diet than I thought I would. If you know me, you know that I am a total Carb Queen. Mike has been working hard to keep me fed with interesting low-carb foods (he's a great cook!) and I have been exercising a great amount of restraint. There are 2 things about this diet that are helping me keep on track. First, I have very few cravings. If I smell something really great like french fries or toast, it's a struggle, but for the most part I don't really feel a NEED for carbs. Secondly, I have lost nearly 10 pounds. In the past, I have busted my butt, dieting and exercising like a maniac, without losing a pound. This time, the pounds are just melting off me. Not only have I lost the weight, but I can actually SEE the difference. My stomach, which has been distinctly un-flat since the kidney transplant, is on its way to my pre-college days. Fun!

Okay. There is lots more to tell you, but I'm not sure what it is. I will try to come back again soon. But I wouldn't recommend holding your breath. :)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

She's back!!!

Paul said...

I'm glad she's back. I was just about to send out the hounds to find her.

Anonymous said...

Awesome, so glad to hear from you.. was beginning to think I might have to call you and see if you still exist:D take care.. glad the new diet is working... I liked that one to.. did pretty good on it... but then went off it.. my smaller portions diet is working great for me... and the flu has done a number too.. almost 8 lbs down in one week.. yeah.. but I hope I can keep a lot of it off once I am back up to eating... take care
Lynn

Round Belly said...

yipee! I thought you had fallen off the blogging planet!

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the weight loss

Rotting Dead said...

(*Hugs*) Soleil!!!

I was just checking in and visiting folks I haven't chatting with in like forever and wanted to stop by.

Unfortunately some of us take a long hiatus from the blogging world and everyone thinks we have dropped off the Earth. But I am still alive and kickin', maybe not as high as usual but kickin' none the less....:-)

Take Care!

CJ

Solange Hommel said...

Thanks for the love, everyone. :) I want you to know that I am still reading your blogs even though I'm not providing much for you to read.