Monday, January 25, 2010

Open Letter to the Universe

Dear Universe,

Each morning for the past week I have awoken physically refreshed but mentally exhausted. My dreams have been long, mundane, and repetitive. In one, I spent hours digging through my closet trying to find the right outfit for some occasion. In another I was trying to complete a series of simple chores that just wouldn't get/stay done. The sun comes up, the alarm goes off, and I feel like I need a nap before I've even gotten out of bed.

I'm sure that these mildly anxious dreams are a product of the mildly increased stress in my life over the past couple of weeks. I know they are my mind's way of blowing off steam. But I've gotta tell you, it's NOT helping.

So, dear Universe, I am making this humble request of you... Could I please, please, please have a confidence building dream one of these nights? A dream in which a beloved family member comes to me with words of praise or encouragement? Or perhaps a dream in which I successfully accomplish my task on the first try? I'd even settle for a dream in which my teeth stayed in my mouth, my eyes opened on command, or my clothes stayed on my body as I walked on stage to perform in a play for which I was fully prepared. Any one of these things would be quite welcome.

I thank you in advance, dear Universe, for giving me a break and sending a dream that leaves me looking forward to my day.

Sincerely,
Sol

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I always thought you were an atheist... guess I was way off.

Solange Hommel said...

It's funny that you should say that. I didn't think of this as a 'religious' post when I was writing it. I truly was just hoping that my brain would cut me some slack. I can see how the whole "Dear Universe" thing makes it seem like I am appealing to some external, controlling being.

Truthfully, I wouldn't consider myself an atheist though. I have way too much faith in fate, karma, whatever you want to call it, to fall into that category. I would consider myself more of an agnostic. I feel the influence of something in my life. It's just that from day to day that something has a different name. Sometimes I consider it coincidence, other time karma, other times the helping hands of those who've traveled on before me. My belief system is quite inconsistent! :)

i'm not Supergirl said...

i think your blog is quite beautiful. i like the way you write :) sorry if this is creepy or anything!

Solange Hommel said...

Not creepy at all. I appreciate your positive feedback. :)