Tuesday, February 02, 2010

Dear Giant Corporate Competitors,

I had a 30 minute telephone conversation with a prospective client today, and at it's conclusion this parent made a comment that was something of a revelation to me.  "I'm looking forward to starting.  Just talking to you has made me feel so much better.  It wasn't like this after talking to *Big Name Company*.  Thank you."

I suddenly realized that it's not my ridiculously low prices that make parents decide to come to my tiny little business.  The majority of parents are going to do what it takes to get help their child, and if that means paying $50/hr, so be it.  It's not the advertising we do or our semi-successful attempts at looking like professionals, either.  Parents trust the recommendations of friends and teachers over fancy fliers and color coordinated furniture sets.  It can't be our experience or academic knowledge that does it, although we have plenty of both.  I know you have the budget to hire as many qualified teachers as you can get your hands on.  There is one thing, and one thing alone, that makes us stand out from the crowd.

When parents call to us, they are treated as one-of-a-kind rather than one-in-a-million.  When I answer my phone, I am 100% focused on what they need and how I can help them get it.  I listen to their situations, and I validate their emotions.  They hang up knowing that their fears and frustrations have been heard and that they have a new ally in the fight to overcome them.   In short, I give my concerned parents the same personalized attention that I plan on giving their kids.

It is amazing how immediately parents respond to this.  Our entire relationship is built on the foundation laid in that first interaction.  From that point on, my parents know that I am going to do my best for their children.  They know they can trust me to treat their children with respect and understanding.  This relationship of trust means that I can raise the level of expectation.  Even when I'm asking them to make difficult changes or try challenging new things, my families trust me.  They know that my praise is honest and my concerns are legitimate.  We all work harder for each other and my kids progress faster as a result.

I am grateful for your business-oriented environments and your factory model approach to teaching because it makes my little company look even better by comparison.  I would have to work much harder to stand out if the rest of you were to realize that parents aren't looking for more of the same old thing.  They need something different, and thanks to you, I'm one of the few providing it.

Some day, Escuela del Sol will be a household name.  And on that day, I will remember the phone conversation I had today, and I will continue to make every single family feel as if they are my only clients. 

Sincerely,
Sol

2 comments:

Paul said...

Just before starting my business, I was fascinated by a video called "In search of excellence". In it, they explored the best and most successful businesses of every size from Disney to a local grocery store.

The conclusion was that each one stood head and shoulders above their competition simply because they constantly made the customer feel special. Their main secret advantage was caring and paying attention to the customers. It was amazing that 99% of businesses simply forget to do that.

I was highly encouraged and took that advice to heart. As our business grew up, it worked like a charm.

Solange Hommel said...

You know, Uncle Paul, whenever I get to see how a company is set up and how they work, I am comparing them to the things I have seen in every business you have been a part of. My own business is specifically designed with plenty of places for siblings and parents to be comfortable and/or productive while they are waiting because of things I remember from Hunt Tech. You are one of my strongest business models! :)