Monday, February 01, 2010

True Story

Hubby:  I'm going to go read the words of my book in order.
Me:  What order?  Alphabetical?
Hubby:  Probably left to right following the page numbers.  Alphabetical might be challenging.
Me:  How boring.
Hubby:  It would take a long time to get ready for that.  You'd have to go through the whole book first.
Me:  Yeah.  The first several words woul be "A", "A", "A", "A", "a", "a", "a", "an"...
Hubby:  It wouldn't go to "an".  There would be words like "about".  And "abate".
Me:  Really?  You think you'd find the word "abate"?
Hubby:  I wouldn't be surprised.
Me:  I don't think "abate" is in that book*.
Hubby:  Now I'm going to search the whole book just to prove that "abate" is in it.
Me: I dare you.
Hubby:  I will find it.  I'm a master-abater.
Me:  I'm so blogging that.

*He's reading Under the Dome by Stephen King, in case you were wondering.  He has requested that you post the page number if you happen to find the word "abate" in that illustrious text.

**Update**
As I have been writing this, he has been reading and announcing each "a" word he finds.  "Affairs."  "Almighty."  "Ability."  "Acting."  My husband amuses me so.

4 comments:

Thom said...

Reminds me of your grandfather's story about his grandfather who was charged with being the ringleader of a group that was putting out feed for the deer

and of your step-mother who was an expert at arguing her side of the issue.

Solange Hommel said...

I'm sure there's a pun (or two!) hidden somewhere in this comment, but I'm having a hard time finding it...

Thom said...

Great grandpa was a master baiter
step-mom was a master debater

Solange Hommel said...

Technically, Great grandpa was a master DEER-baiter. It's that extra syllable that was throwing me off. :)