Tuesday, October 14, 2003

More Signs

These ones are of the picket variety.

The grocery store workers union is striking against Von's. In retaliation (or support, depending on who's side you are on, I guess) Albertson's and Ralph's workers are locked out. There are lots of people handing out fliers and standing on street corners. Luckily, Mikey and I did a mega shopping trip a couple of days ago. I have no desire to cross that line - first because I support them and second, because I have heard that they are being very aggressive. I don't support that, but I still have no desire to deal with it.

The Stater Bro's isn't striking or locking out employees, because they have a "sweetheart contract" which apparently means that they will reap the benefits of the strike without any of the risks. Doesn't seem fair to me. Not only are their employees still able to earn wages, but the store is raking in the dough because no one wants to cross the picket lines at the other place.

I wonder where I can go to avoid this whole thing all together. Are there any stores that have a different union or are not connected for some other reason? I will have to look that up before our next shopping trip.

Oh! Interesting side note...one of my students has a parent who is picketing and she asked me for poster board the other day so she could make a sign to carry that night.

No comments: