Thursday, April 06, 2006

Busy Girl

I love it when I get things done.

(Weird...while I was typing that last sentence, my internal voice read it just like the journal entries at the end of Doogie Howser, MD were always read...wierd.)

Anyway. Like I was saying, getting things done makes me feel good. Perhaps this is because I spend a remarkable amount of time not accomplishing anything. If it's not something that is going to affect someone else (work, an appointment, etc.) it just doesn't get done. Proof of this is taking up space in our garage in the form of gutter pieces that STILL aren't attached to the house.

Vacation time is the worst as far as accomplishing things because I am really good at convincing myself that I have "earned" the right to sit and do nothing (ie: read, watch tv, play video games) while the chores go undone. Not this time. Well, okay. Not in the last 48 hours. Recently, I have worked on the fencing to our garden, cleaned the kitchen, worked on our taxes (nothing like the last minute!), cleaned the entire garage, washed and folded several loads of laundry, planned for school up to the second to last week, AND played more hours of Animal Crossing that is good for me. I've been busy!

Speaking of the garden. It is almost ready for me to bring the seedlings out. It is silly to call them seedlings though, most of them have refused to come out. So far, I have one spindly little bean (I'm talking two leaves, about 4 inches tall), several very short beans, a bunch of super skinny broccoli, 3 corn plants, and a plethora of seeds that have sprouted (I can see the bumps in the soil dirt sand) but refuse to poke their heads above ground. I'm hoping that sticking them outside will inspire them to sally forth. (Hence the fence - I don't want the rabbits to eat these seedlings I can't get to grow! I am afraid my garden is going to be quite pathetic this year.

Where was I? Oh, yeah. We worked hard on Tuesday morning to put up half the fence. Wednesday, it rained so hard I thought the roof was going to cave in and then hailed hard enough to completely cover the yard with pellets of ice. We're talking completely white and still clumped all over the yard this morning when I went walking with the dogs. What is with this weather? It's like every time I start to think about gardening I get punished by the Weather Witches. You think it's SPRING? HA! I'll show you! cackle cackle

I refuse to be cowed this time. Tomorrow, we are getting more posts for the fencing and by the time I go back to school that garden will be contained. The planties are heading out of doors for reals. Take THAT, you weather witches!

No comments: