Saturday, March 29, 2008

Highlights and Lowlights

Highlights
1. The apple trees we planted 2 years ago (when we first moved here) are blooming! They started out with lots of tiny, hot pink buds, and those are now bursting open into delicate white flowers. I am extremely excited at the idea of getting apples. Especially if I can convince Mikey that he should be making apple pies with them. :)

2. The weather has been perfect for me to throw on a tank top and jeans, grab my shades and a book, and sit outside for hours. I have been reading almost a book a day. The dogs are loving the company and I am reveling in the relaxation.

3. You know you have a true friend when you can get together and have a lengthy, enjoyable conversation about religion, politics, and emotional health, especially when you disagree about fundamental parts of all three. I have just such a friend and I have been able to get together with her multiple times recently.

Lowlights
1. Mikey has been sick as a dog the last 3 days. He has a fever that reminds me of a couple of my students. You know, the ones who take FOREVER to leave after the bell rings, and keep remembering one more reason why they have to come back. Mikey's fever has several times left only to return a few hours later - "I forgot my math book!" He also has a nice, juicy cough and a nose that can't decide whether to drip constantly or freeze up completely. All this courtesy of his sister and nephew who were hosts to the same bug during our Easter get-together. I have been keeping a distance and crossing my fingers like crazy in hopes that I will avoid it. I don't want to miss out on my vacation and I can't afford to take sick days afterward.

No comments: