Monday, February 21, 2005

Again?

Last week, my fellow teachers and I were asked to vote on a proposed contract addendum. After two years without a cost of living raise and a serious slashing of our insurance benefits last year, we were being offered an increase retroactive to January. I'm not going to go into it too deeply - I don't want to be Dooced for my thoughts - but many of us weren't thrilled with the offer. As I mentioned before, we were working contract hours only, picketing, and trying to rally our parents behind us as we prepared to fight for a reasonable offer. At my school, people were geared up. We looked at this vote as a way to resoundingly show the district that we weren't going to fall for their retoric and we weren't going to be steamrolled.

Yesterday, I was told the results of the vote. The proposal was accepted by something like 52% of the teachers who voted. Once again, I am left shaking my head and wondering how there could be so many people who don't understand the consequences of their actions. We are supposed to be negotiating a whole new contract next year. The district now knows that they can do anything they want, and we will fall in line. We're screwed. It seems that this is how things are going on so many levels. Nationwide, unionwide, everywhere - I am part of a vocal and energetic minority that fails to change the mind of the complacent majority.

So, what does this mean for me? I'm not sure yet. I have already been informed that I might be relocated to a new school next year. They are opening two new schools and a percentage of our student population will be leaving us. I am one of the more recent hires, so potentially one of the transfers as things are rearranged. I am saddened at the thought of leaving my school and, more importantly, my team, but the worst part is that I don't just get moved. No, I have to INTERVIEW to keep my job. Because I am going to have to move, the principals needing teachers get to look me over, peering at my teeth and assessing the number of good years I have left in me. Okay - so that might be a bit melodramatic, but it offends me that I have to go through the interview/observation process as though I were fresh out of college, or worse, as though I hadn't been good enough to keep my last job. It is insulting.

As you know, I am not a fan of change. This is the worst situation possible for me because everything is up in the air. I MIGHT have to move. I MIGHT not. I have to live a double life of preparing for both possibilities. Ugh. And I have to do it with half a raise and crappy insurance, thanks to those who weren't willing to fight. Teaching in a public school setting - the only thing I have ever wanted to do - is slowly, but surely losing its appeal. Maybe their hiring at McDonald's?

No comments: