Tuesday, February 01, 2005

Ritualistic Reading

When I get my Sun magazine, I always read it the same way. There is ritual to be followed and routine to be taken up when I see that stark black and white photo waiting for me.

First, I read through the Letters to the Editor, tallying in my head how many are heaping praise and how many are throwing stones. Often, I have no recollection of the articles to which they refer, but I am drawn to these bits of personal response none-the-less. I suspect that I am checking to see if I measure up as a "normal" Sun reader.

Next, I search out the Readers Write section. No matter what the topic, I am always amazed at the width and depth of human emotion. A single word or phrase causing so many varied thoughts. Usually, my mind boggles at the pain and sorrow that fill this world. It is a constant reminder that my life has been much easier than most.

Finally, I skim through the Sunbeams on the back page, letting them catch my eye as they will. Each month, I am newly surprised to find that the quotes are related to the Readers Write topic. It is always the ones expressing hope or joy that float in my head for the next few days.

After completing this ritual, I flip backwards through the remainder of the magazine. I read nearly all the fiction, but rarely do I stop for the poetry or the interview. Oddly enough, it's those, the meat and potatoes of the magazine, that I feel I should be reading, while I feel guilty for enjoying the voyeuristic letters and the quotes swallowed in handfuls like popcorn.

Although I am sure that there are others who get much more from Mr. Safransky's magazine, I am just glad to be given a brief peek into the reality that is our collective being. I am happy to be comforted by the routine of connecting - if in a disconnected way - with those around me.

No comments: