Saturday, June 17, 2006

Parting Words

Below is my final goodbye message to my students this year.

The other day, I was listening to my Counting Crows cd, and I heard a line in one of the songs that perfectly describes how I feel right now.

"I wanted to see you walking away from me
without the sensation of you leaving me alone."

I am so very proud of each and every one of you. I have watched you grow from just-out-of-4th-graders, confused and looking for a helping hand, to almost-6th-graders, knowledgable and independent. I am thrilled when I imagine the individuals you will be next year, 5 years from now, 10 years from now.
Unfortunately, I am going to be left behind as you walk your path. I have to stay here, waving and trying to be cheerful for you, as you head off for your next adventure. I just wish I could see you walking away from me without the sensation of you leaving me alone.


- - - - - - -

These kids are my hope for the future. This is the poem I wrote (and read) for them:

I Hope

For you, my risible litter of rumbly, tumbly puppies,
I hope you never forget the pleasure of playing with friends.
I hope you always have a reason to laugh out loud.
I hope you fill your future with hope and joy.

For you, my compassionate, considerate class of friends,
I hope you never fail to lift up a fallen neighbor.
I hope you always remember the kindness of your classmates.
I hope you continue to grow as Peace Builders for our world.

For you, my beautiful rainbow of ideas and personalities and individuals,
I hope you never stop searching for knowledge.
I hope you always have exciting thoughts and plans.
I hope you hold onto your dreams with all your strength.

For you, the children of my heart,
I hope you don't forget to visit me as often as possible.
I hope you look back on 5th grade with fondness.
I hope you realize that I will always be thinking of you.

I know it isn't the most stunning piece of poetry ever written. I had too many things I wanted to say and not enough time to get it all ironed out. I think it managed to get across the most important things.

- - - - - - -

This was probably my favorite moment of the day.

Me: You know that I don't have any kids of my own. Who are my kids?
Them: US!

No comments: