Friday, September 15, 2006

Brilliant Idea!!!

I have just sent an email to David Wilcox. No, I'm not becoming a stalker fan. Rather, I had a wonderful idea on my way home and I am asking for his assistance in making it a possiblity.

On his album, East Ashville Hardware, there is a story about a carpenter. In breif, this carpenter is asked to build a wall between two feuding neighbors, but instead builds a bridge, bringing them back together before heading into the sunset. I have always enjoyed this particular story, because it reminds me of my Grandpa Norm. However, this evening I had a new vision. I pictured my 5th graders performing this story. I know exactly which one would recite it. I could envision the set dressings and the actions perfectly. There would be 2 feuding families (allowing for more parts, you know) and in the end, after they are reunited as friends, my students would hold up the names of everyone we can think of throughout history who has reached across the boundry of difference and fear to build a bridge. They would say,

"BUILD A BRIDGE. YOU'RE IN GOOD COMPANY."

Or something like that.

Anyway, I have emailed Mr. Wilcox asking if we could get permission to use his story. You could help me by adding to my list of BridgeBuilders. On my way home I came up with...
Ghandi
John Lennon
Jesus
Martin Luther King, Jr.
Mother Teresa
and
Oscar Schindler

Please help me expand on this small group. I want it to be as diverse as possible, so the more creative the better. If possible, leave me a link or a blurb about the bridges they built. :)

No comments: