Monday, September 04, 2006

Treading Softly

There are times in my classroom when I feel the need to tread lightly and think even more carefully than usual before speaking. The majority of these days seem to be when we are discussing politics or religion. I know that my opinions aren't necessarily the same as those my students hear at home. It is important, for both job security and general comfort, that I balance the need to share my thoughts and feelings with my need to respect and understand the background of my students. Tricky business, I tell you.

In the near future I will be dealing with two such times. Sept. 11th is falling on a school day for the first time in three years. People have very strong feelings about the Middle East, terrorism, and war - even 10 year olds. I will not allow "Patriot Day" (yes, I'm afraid those are sarcastic quote marks you see there) to become a day of celebration and Yay, America-ism. However, if I am going to focus on the horrors of violence, hatred, and war, I have to do it carefully or I will find dozens of nasty voicemails blinking at me on Sept. 12th. For example, I most likely will NOT get to point out the fact that Bush's war has killed more Americans (2,646 military + 136 civilian) than the fall of the World Trade Center towers (2,752).

Next, we have Sept. 15th. This has been identified as "Constitution Day" and we are required to spend 1 hour teaching our classes about the U.S. Constitution. This, by itself, is not the problem. The problem is that I will be sorely tempted to focus on the recent dismantling of this important document. The fact that our basic rights are being taken away one by one in the name of national security and "patriotism" is disturbing and wrong. The trick is getting that point across to my students without seeming as though I am attacking people they love and respect.

Instead of shouting my thoughts from the top of a soapbox, I will be asking and encouraging questions. I won't get to say all the things I would like to say, but I will be able to challenge my students and get them thinking a little bit further than their own dining room table. I'm going to count that as a win.

No comments: