Friday, April 18, 2008

Another Sign of Spring

It has finally reached the time of year when the rising of the sun occurs early enough for me to wake naturally rather than to the alarm clock. Today was the first day. As my eyes opened I panicked - "Did I forget to set the alarm? Why is it so light in here? Crap. I'm gonna be late." Seconds later, my phone started beeping at me.

I have the kind of internal regulator that works on simple commands. Light = wake. Dark = sleep. This makes getting things done in the summer a breeze and getting things done on rainy days near impossible. I have to draw all the blinds and turn on all the lights to trick myself into thinking it's sunny out. If I ever moved to Alaska, I would have whole months out of the year when I didn't leave the house. I would have to stuff myself on berries and salmon all summer just to get through my hibernation phase.

I've often considered trying one of those ambient light alarms, but I suspect it wouldn't really fool me. I would wake up, take note of the absolute black out my windows, pull the covers over my head, and attempt to sleep until spring.

No comments: