Thursday, November 10, 2005

Hmm

I talked at a meeting tonight about the problems I see with the current direction of education. Mostly, I was expressing a concern over the fact that we are teaching to the standardized tests rather than to the whole child. I was seriously disturbed to hear most of the room say that they didn't feel that was a problem. One woman told me that I just needed to "fit it in". That is what she does.

So, as I drove home, I wondered:

Is she an amazing teacher who is able to teach all the skills expected of her students while still exposing them to music, the arts, AND addressing all their social/emotional needs?

Is she delusional, thinking she is doing all this while her students suffer the consequences?

Is she a master of time, able to stretch it to her will, freeing up chunks of time that the rest of us don't have?

OR

Is the problem with me? Am I not using my time as efficiently as possible? Should I be trying harder to assimilate all of the things thrown at me - am I being stopped by my own bad attitude?

No comments: