Saturday, April 14, 2007

I :heart: Parent Helpers!

This past week has been a stressful one. We were just returning from break, we had to get ready for the field trip, and I had the knowledge of an upcoming observation and interview hanging over my head. The latter is the one that really threw me off.

Normally, I keep my room relatively organized. Lately, I have been noticing piles here and there. There are papers that I am too busy to file correctly, assignments that I still have to grade, and boxes of supplies that have come in. I was doing okay until I realized that we were going to have company. And not just regular company, but important company that has a large amount of control over my future. So, being me, I started to stress about the mess, but didn't really have time to do anything about it.

Enter one of my parent volunteers. She showed up, not once, but TWICE this week to help. She got all the filing completed, changed one of my more tired looking bulletin boards, and then peeked into my closet. My horrible, messy, disgusting closet. I don't normally ask parents to organize my closet because it's a time-consuming job and it feels like making them clean up after me. I don't mind asking them to do something for the kids, but asking them to do something for me is awkward. I bit the bullet (knowing that I only have so many hours in the weekend) and hesitantly asked her, "So...how do you feel about organizing?"

"I thought you'd never ask," she said. "I was going to just start straightening it out anyway, but I thought you might be offended."

Ha! I told her to do whatever she thought necessary. By the end of the hour, I wanted to throw my closet doors open and leave them that way because seeing the shelves made the whole room look neater. I have the best parent help in the world. :)

Now, I am off. I have a softball game to watch first. Then I am going to spend many hours in my classroom making things look nice and neat. This evening I have a baseball game to attend. It will be a long, enjoyable, productive day. Have a good one, yourself.

No comments: