Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Back to the Beginning

Did I tell you about my big mistake a couple of weeks ago? Well, I can't be bothered to check, so I'm going to tell you again. :)

One day, I came home and left the gate wide open. This wouldn't be a problem, except I also released the hounds from their kennel. Bad move. They hung around with us until they realized my mistake, then they were GONE. It took nearly an hour and much footwork before we managed to get them back. Even then, we had to lift them over a fence, as they had managed to get themselves trapped inside a neighbor's yard. Stooooopid dogs.

Anyway, since then, Mia had been bound and determined to get out into the "real world" again. One day, she dug a hole under the fence. Another she jumped over the fence, only to find herself trapped in the yard next door. They always keep their gate chained and locked, so the only way for Mikey to get her back in our yard was to dig a hole and coax her under. As special bonus, she managed to terrify the lady next door while she was there. Wheee!

I understand that this recent bad behavior is entirely my own fault. They had been PERFECT for months before I inadvertently gave them a reminder of what lie beyond the fence. Consequently, I have had to go back to square one with the training process. They spent all weekend on Kennel Detention. This means that they are dogs in a box unless someone is outside with them. Just today, I have started letting them roam the yard as long as someone is checking in with them at 5 minute intervals, just to remind them who's boss and praise them for sticking around. In fact...brb...OK, found them. :)

I could just kick myself for undoing everything we had so carefully taught them. Ugh.

No comments: