Sunday, May 06, 2007

This post is brought to you by the number 8.

That's how many miles I ended up walking yesterday. Actually, that is a guess. I am working on the assumption that a regulation track is about 1/4 mile long. I walked 32 laps. I could have done at least 10 miles if I hadn't been taking time to help my pal "S" with the running of the booth. That, and taking longer than strictly necessary for lunch.

It was lots of fun...there were tons of people there and all kinds of information about cancer testing, prevention, and assistance. They had really loud music playing all day long (I came home with a headache) that kept us moving. There was a Ms. Relay contest for the guys. My student was one of the ones who dressed up to try to get additional donations. It was pretty funny. I also bought a bright green hat shaped like a monkey.

Just before I left, they were putting out the luminary bags (paper bags with rocks and a candle inside). "S" took pictures of each of my bags, one for Kate and one for my grandpas. I will post those pics as soon as she emails them to me. Since she was up all night for the Relay, I'm guessing that won't be until later in the week.

I am excited about putting together my own team next year. I'm hoping I can get some teachers and students to work on raising donations and such next year. I managed to raise $195 with my minimal fundraising efforts (I only had a week to get ready). Next year, I'll do better. The Relay raised somewhere around $36, 000 total and our team raised...I forget...around $1,500 maybe? I'll get the final numbers from "S" and let you know. Thanks to everyone who helped out. And thanks to everyone who is helping Kate these days. That's even more important.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

8 miles is fantastic! I was happy to walk 8 blocks when we were in NYC two weeks ago. It sounds like everyone had fun too. How is Kate feeling these days?

Anonymous said...

LA-
15-20 (-1)

Anonymous said...

The relay luminaries were always very touching. I look forward to seeing the pictures of yours. Glad you were able to participate. Namaste

LA