Friday, October 28, 2005

The Balance of the Universe

I apologize for leaving such a despondant post on top for so long, especially since the remainder of my week has been full of things that make me smile...

~ the grapefruit glow of the setting sun making the distant mountains blush like maidens behind their veils of fog and mist

~ the full on belly laugh, followed by the 5 minutes of giggling that my class and I shared during our spelling test this afternoon

~ the mustard flavored pretzels I snacked on

~ the smashing success that was our Showing Writing Fashion Show

~ "We just really appreciate how understanding you have been." (from parents who are dealing with some heavy issues but still manage to help their child complete homework and show up at school prepared to learn)

~ the totally inaccurate information being spouted by a Law and Order episode discussing kidney transplants

~ reading the amazing book "Stargirl" by Jerry Spinelli, an amazing author

~ having the problem of too many good books and not enough bookshelves in my classroom, thanks to Scholastic book orders and the free points I earn when my class orders books

~ looking at a picture of my siblings and I at my wedding - one of my very favorite pictures ever - and then getting a call from my baby brother, the frosh football star

~ the two (not just one...TWO!) cards that we got in the mail - one beautiful and the other hilarious (We do NOT give out broccoli at Halloween! We give out carrot sticks.)

~ hearing a student say that he and his mother had had a serious dicussion about each other's feelings and come to some wonderful agreements

~ the smell of dinner cooking when I walked in the door after spending a total of 12 hours at school and nearly 14 hours away from home

There were so many other things...I can't name them all. It's a wonderful life, I tell you.

No comments: