Thursday, October 06, 2005

Driving In My Car

OR

Living in the Moment: A Daily Exercise

My daily commute provides me with ample time for reflection and thought. Sometimes, too much. I have plenty of time in my own head to brood on that mistake I made or that person who hurt my feelings or that thing I wish I could afford or that JERK WHO CUT ME OFF JUST NOW. Pant, pant. As I think these thoughts, I find more and more to brood about. One bad thing reminds me of another. In a few short minutes I am a seething ball of rage and frustration. My grip on the steering wheel tightens as that one vein in my head starts to throbe. Yeah, THAT one. The one that runs along my right temple, past my eyebrow, and into my hairline. Yikes.

I have found that the only solution to this problem is to focus on the Now. First, I have to go outside myself. I look at the hills and valleys, the sunflowers on the side of the road, the birds on the telephone wires. I focus on the joy these things bring me. Then I am able to return to my thoughts, this time thinking of how wonderful my life is at that moment.

The fact that I am in my car, on my way to work, is proof of so much good in my life. I have a trustworthy, reliable vehicle which allows me to live where I want to live and work where I want to work. I have a beautiful house outside of the city. I have a job that I love and am willing to commute for. I am healthy enough to drive myself to work every day. I can afford the gas needed to make my trip. I have a husband who not only loves me for who I am, but also does the dishes AND cleans the kitty litter on a regular basis.

My past may have rocky spots and my future may be uncertain, but my NOW is pretty damn good. I am so glad that I have time every day to contemplate that and be thankful for it.

No comments: