Sunday, October 23, 2005

A Whole Week?

Where does the time go?

I have had many thoughts, but since I have yet to put my hand-held recorder in my car like I have planned, I can't remember a damn one of them. How frustrating to know there is something fabulous behind that curtain, but to be unable to sweep it aside. I have to remember to put that recorder in my car.

I am currently working on my first master's course, regarding technology in the classroom. It seems somewhat serendipidous since we are currently struggling with our own technology plan at school. Who knows, I might learn something useful.

We have not begun our attempt at guttering the house yet. It is so much easier to sit inside watching episodes of Monk and oodles of Halloween movies of questionable quality. (Although I will give Shaun of the Dead a resounding "Bravo".) Perhaps next weekend will be the one during which I get off my lazy butt and do something productive. Perhaps not.

Mikey has been working hard. So many projects, each making progress, albeit gradually. I am always so impressed by the innovation that springs from my hubby's brow.

Last year, I was honored at a staff meeting by a friend (it's kind of a pass-the-kindness thing and happened to be around the time of the transplant). In her wonderful letter, she referred to me as her "Stargirl", a term taken from a Jerry Spinelli book. I just finished reading that book for the first time and I can't hardly believe it. I WISH I were half the person Stargirl is. If only I had the courage and selflessness to be like that. I am touched to think that my friend made that connection.

My hips are starting to hurt. I don't know what it is...diet, inactivity (although I haven't been), changing weather...but something is making my joints ache lately. A couple weeks ago, it was my knees. While they seem to have settled down, now my hips are complaining mildly. If I move just wrong it brings to mind the feeling of tearing a chicken leg out of it's socket - it isn't a PAIN kind of pain, but it feels wrong.

Speaking of changing weather, it is getting to be winter around here. The thermometer mercury is pulling back into itself more and more each night. 55. 48. 43. Soon I will be seeing frost out the window as I prepare myself for the day. There is moisture in the air that doesn't know what to do with itself. It hangs around, covering the hills and valleys with a layer of haze, occasionally condensing on the side of the house or dripping off the point of a leaf. The days are still sunny and warm, but each night winter's calling card is a little bigger.

Friday was one of the bestest days this year. After several weeks of frustration with missing homework, poor choices, and constant reminders of things they should already know, I was able to watch them leave with a sense of sorrow, rather than relief. Those are the days that make it all worth while. The ones were they go out of their way to make things easier for me...just because. Of course, those are also the days that remind me of the power of positive consequences. It was easy to find reasons to praise them, therefore they were happier and more willing to do praiseworthy things. A cycle that is so easy to break with one angry look or one sarcastic word. Monday, I will try harder to be a person they want to please, rather than someone they have to please.

The laundry is done. Time to fold. What little things are happening in your world?

No comments: