Monday, October 17, 2005

Literally

A preface for those of you who don't already know...
The title of my blog comes from the stories I used to get from my Daddy on my birthday. Each featured myself as a youngster and my faithful companion, Isha, who lived in the raindrops that make up rainbows. She would always take me on a tumbling trip through the colors and often solved a problem or two for me as well.

Today, I was actually rambling with Isha. She came to visit me in all her colorful glory as I was driving home. We had scattered showers all day and the sun is just now starting to peek through the clouds. When I noticed this, I thought "Hey....these are the perfect conditions for a visit from Isha." No sooner had I finished the thought, BAM. There was a beautiful, DOUBLE rainbow shooting down from the sky like an arrow.

It got me thinking. Isha only shows up on rainy/cloudy days. There has to be enough moisture in the air for the sun to reflect off of before a rainbow can be formed. This makes days like today - drizzly, gray ones - some of my favorites. Instead of plodding along with my head tucked in to avoid the sprinkles, I am scanning the sky for signs of my cheerful friend. What a good life lesson. Why not look around for a friend or a good sign on those days that make you want to cry? It changes your whole perspective. Of course, Isha doesn't always show up, but while I am looking I often notice other things to pick me up. Like how green the moss is on the rocks today after only a day of rain. Or the gigantic, orange pumpkin someone set high up in the rocks. Or the way the sun is just about to assert itself over the clouds and drop by just in time to tell me goodnight. All of that on what most see as just another rainy day.

No comments: