Monday, July 03, 2006

2 Random Bits

BIT ONE

An interesting side effect of taking these classes for my masters is that I am finding myself inspired to learn more about the field in which I am working. Not so much the actual teaching part - I'm already way interested in that - but in the politics of it. I am the kind of person who feels mountains of guilt for every horrible thing in the world that I can't fix. Usually, I ignore all news/information regarding bad things that I can't make better out of simple mental self-preservation. If I were to pay too much attention to the big, scary world, I would end up curled up in the fetal position, mumbling things, and flinching at every sound. Same goes for education. If I start reading about the things that are happening in the arena of public education, I become even more disgusted and horrified than I already am. Regardless of this well established fact, I have added several educationally-minded blogs to my reading list and I am making a solid attempt at becoming informed. If you don't hear from me in a while, call and help Mikey talk me out of the dark recesses of my closet where I will no doubt be muttering about charter schools and pay scales and idiot bastard politicians who know nothing about children or teaching or even humanity for that matter but still think they should be in charge of telling me how to do my job...whew. I'm okay.

But, seriously. If you don't hear from me...

BIT TWO

I got new glasses last week, one pair of regular ones and one pair of sunglasses. For the first time in my life I put some actual thought into how they looked on me and what kind of image I wanted to present to those who gaze upon my visage (oooh! fancy word!). In both cases, I ditched the roundness of my previous frames, going for a blockier, slightly hinting at the 50's look. I like 'em. I like 'em a lot.
What I don't like is the way my regular glasses make me feel like I am walking around in a circus funhouse. The walls won't stay where they belong and everything seems slightly out of perspective. Like I've fallen into an M.C. Esher picture. This is not completely unexpected. It always takes awhile for my eyes to adjust to a new prescription, but this is rediculous. It has been 3 days and I still get seasick just walking across the house. Bleh. The sunglasses, on the other hand, are working perfectly. I had them polarize those lenses and I am thrilled with the way my head doesn't hurt after being outside now. Whoot.

No comments: