Friday, July 21, 2006

Good Dogs!

My puppies have been getting their full allotment of cookies these days for their excellent outside behavior. It seems that the zapping they got going over the fence that last time took the joy out of the jumping. We have settled into a nice little routine that involves an hour or so of "free play" after they show my they remember how to "sit" and "down" and walk nicely without pulling at the leash. They do all their tricks for me and then I unhook the leash and release them. You should see those puppies run! :) They wander all over the property, chasing whatever moves and having a good time. Occasionally, they will come back to check in with me (I encourage this by rewarding them with cookies when they do it - sometimes after doing a trick, sometimes not). When it's time to go in, they follow me back to the kennel and voluntarily go in (granted I am putting down food as they do it, but still...) and that is that. This is good. Very good.

Cute side-note:
Mia likes to hop up in the chair next to me while I am reading after she's done running around. She just jumps up there and keeps me company for awhile. It's adorable.

Gross side-note:
Trooper caught a frog this evening and spend most of the hour playing with it despite the fact that it tasted bad enough to make him do funny, spitty things with his mouth.

No comments: