Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Drat

My recent blood tests indicate that my cholestoral is still climbing*. Just before the kidney donation, it checked in at just below the 200 mark. Then 6 months later, it was just above the 200 mark. Now it's up to 247. Not good.

Internet research indicates that diet and exercise are recommended in treating high cholesterol. A healthy diet should included plenty of fruits and veggies, lots of whole grains, and legumes. Check. Dairy products should be low-fat and egg consumption limited. Check. Limit intake of high fat meats. Check. Reduce amount of butter and sugar ingested. Um...

Okay. So the first step is cutting back on butter and candy. I can do that.

Further research identifies 4 foods that can help lower LDLs ("bad" cholesterol) or raise HDLs ("good" cholesterol). Step two - work them into my diet more often:

Oats - No problem. I'll start having oatmeal for breakfast before school. Or granola. I'll have to make it myself though, cause it's rediculously expensive at the store.

Soy - Since becoming vegetarian, we have made soy a staple in our diets. We eat soy regularly and in many forms.

Nuts - Walnuts, almonds, hazlenuts, and peanuts are great for your heart AND full of protein. Yay! Brazil nuts, macadamias, and cashews (my favorites) are also full of fat, so easy on those guys.

Fish - Hmm. If the other stuff doesn't work, Mikey and I may have to have a talk about this. I am all for eating fish, but at this point it is not included in our vegetarian diet. Salmon and tuna are both chock full of Omega-3 fatty acids, which are great for your heart.

Now that the diet is revamped, it's time to look at exercise. I currently do...nothing. Not NOTHING exactly, but very, VERY little. How can I increase the exercise in my day? Come August 7th I will be heading back to the classroom. The two weeks of preparation should get me started, and having the kids back on the 21st will really increase my activity level. But that obviously isn't enough, because this problem was evident before my summer slacking started. I see two choices:

1. The Gym - This is expensive. I would need something in Temecula, where I could fit it in before or after school, so Mikey wouldn't be there with me. On the plus side, I could find somewhere that had classes. I have always wanted to do an aerobics or biking class. Do I trust myself to stay dedicated for the length of the whole contract? I dunno.

2. Walking - Cheap and flexible. Mikey might join me. I might also be able to join my pals at school who walk during lunch. I have tried this before and it isn't exciting enough to motivate me after a long day at school. It's too easy to put it off until the next day. Or week. Or month.

I'll have to keep thinking about that one. At least now I have a game plan. When I go in to see the doctor again (they are requesting a follow-up) I won't sound like a total putz.

*In the "Good News" column...my sodium continues to be lower than normal. Yay me.

No comments: