Sunday, August 20, 2006

Gandhi

We recently watched the movie Gandhi, and I continue to be amazed at his empathy, self-control, and influence. It is one thing to hold a hunger strike in an attempt to stop fighting. This is something anyone could do, given enough inner strength and motivation. It is something much more amazing to be so beloved and respected that both sides of a battle will lay down their arms in order to convince you to eat. If I were to go on a hunger strike over the war in Iraq, a small handful of people would mourn me, another (slightly larger) handful would mock me mercilessly, and a great majority of the people in my city, country, and world would never even know it was happening. The influence he had, and the humility with which he had it, are mind-boggleing.

And on a slightly different topic:

It inspires me to no end to know that Gandhi was an unknown, "bumbling lawyer" until his 30's. I still have time.

No comments: