Wednesday, February 16, 2005

Surprise

I have recently learned two things regarding kidney donation. One I was warned about and am just now experiencing firsthand. The other came as a surprise - unconvenient, but not horrible.

Before the surgery, I was told to expect some fatigue for several months afterward. It was explained to me that my body would be doing adjusting type things (mostly stregthening the remaining kidney) and it would take a certain amount of energy. Up until last week I thought they were wrong. I was feeling just fine without any extra napping or resting. However, when I caught this cold bug from my class, it proved that my system is still in recovery mode, whether I realized it or not. A simple headcold - something I would normally deal with for a couple of days and then send on its merry way - knocked me flat for a full week. Then, instead of going on to bother some other poor soul, it morphed into a wonderful sinus infection. Despite being on antibiotics for a full 48 hours (which would normally have me back to normal and forgetting to take my dosages), my head is still a pounding mess by 2:00 every afternoon. I am particularly surprised at how strongly this cold hit since Mikey - the human germ magnet - managed to get off scott free.

The second surprise happened when I went to the dentist on Monday. I guess that since I had a recent surgery that left small bits of what-have-you (clamps/staples) in me, I cannot have dental work done without either A) permission from my doctor or B) a round of "pre-med" antibiotics. This is because the bacteria released through a routine dental cleaning has been known to migrate to surgery spots and start infections. I had to reschedule my cleaning once again so the dental office can talk to the kidney office and work out what kind of precautions are necessary. I'm glad that my dentist is so concerned for the safety of my remaining kidney, but I'm a tad irritated that I have to wait until MAY for my cleaning.

It is particularly odd to have these little things pop up now that I am feeling 100% healed from the surgery. It is a little reminder that I will have to keep a closer watch on my health from now on. It is also a little (very little, I know) taste of what Amy goes through every day - needing to keep her health in mind every day, no matter how healthy she might feel.

No comments: