Saturday, February 19, 2005

WTF??

So many things to complain about...

Button Woes:
I opened my site this morning to find a huge, obnoxious button on the lower right, throwing everything out of wack. Initially, I suspected Blogger (forgive me, please?), but after some poking around, I learned that it was the ServUStats button. For some reason, they thought it would be okay for them to put that ugly ad on my page without asking first. Nope. They - and all their buttons - are now gone.

Wither the Weather:
It is raining again! Now, I admit that my expectations for CA weather are a little warped because we have been in serious drought for the 4 years I have lived here, but this is gettting rediculous. After meticulous research (read: after talking with my friends who have lived her longer than I) I have come up with the following numbers...
5 = average number of inches of rain yearly since I have lived here
13 = average number of inches of rain yearly
30 = number of inches of rain parts of CA have received SO FAR this year (they tell me that the rainy season is counted from start of July to end of June)
We've had some seriously schizophrenic weather. This morning I took this picture:


Literally two minutes later the rain had stopped and the sun was beating down on the backyard. Scary!
And finally...

With Friends Like These:
Remember a while back when the president of Harvard stuck his foot in his mouth at some something or another, saying that women just weren't built to be as good as men in the areas of math and science? (Having read the transcripts, I don't actually think he stuck his foot as far into his mouth as others think he did.) Well, in today's Washington Post there was an essay about it. I actually agreed with author Sally Quinn for the first few paragraphs.
The problem is that some of the women who heard what Larry Summers said did exactly what they are stereotypically criticized for doing. They got hysterical.
What we know is that there are many more male mathematicians and scientists than there are female, both in the worlds of science and academia.
The question is why.
Then things took a horrible turn.
I for one would like to know the truth. If it should turn out, after careful scientific study, that men are hardwired to do better in math and science, I can handle it. It would certainly ease my mind about my own shortcomings in these areas. I'm serious.
I can barely add and subtract...I took botany as my science requirement thinking it was flower arranging.
Um. Shut up? This woman should be embarrassed to admit things like this if they are true and should be blacklisted from womanhood for using such exaggerations to make this point if they are not. My 4th graders can add and subtract. He wasn't talking about ADDING AND SUBTRACTING. Good grief.

What's bothering YOU these days?

PS - I would love to hear from you regarding your thoughts on Summers' speech. Was he out of line? Or was he bringing up questions that need to be answered?

No comments: