Monday, September 12, 2005

Combo-licious

Mikey is waxing poetic about food combinations over at his site. You really should run on over there and tell him what your favorite combos are. Mine? Grilled cheese and tomato soup. There's nothing like it when I am feeling sick, sad, or just plain lonely for a friendly flavor. You really can't do it wrong, but here's the way to do it RIGHT.

The Sandwich:
Take two pieces of your favorite grainy whole wheat bread (it's gotta be w.w. so it will withstand the dunking). Slather each piece with mayo on one side and butter on the other side. Slice or shred (shredding makes for good melting) your favorite cheese and place between the bread slices, mayo side in. Personally, I like 75% cheddar with 25% mozzarella, but any cheese will do. Place the sandwich on a heated griddle. When it is golden brown, flip it. When the second side is also a crunchy, buttery brown you have to do The Secret Step. The Secret Step is what prevents that tiny, unmelted chunk in the center of the sandwich. Get a saucepan lid, sprinkle the griddle (near, but not on the sandwich) with a little water, and cover quickly. A few minutes in the steam will leave you with a totally melted, absolutely delish sandwich.

The Soup
Since I have yet to learn how to make a yummy, creamy tomato soup from scratch (it's not that hard, I'm just that lazy), my advice is to find a deli that makes really good soup and stick with it. My favorite tomato soups are thick and chunky with a cream base. Being both cheap and lazy, I tend to get the Campbell's condensed and add water. The best tomato soup I ever had was at my Aunt Kate's house (it was after a particularly trying day and it really hit the spot) and I think I remember her tellig me it was from a bakery or deli of some sort. Unfortunately, it was in MN, so it isn't exactly available to me here.

There you have it. My favorite flavor combo. Now, get over there and tell us about YOUR favorite!

No comments: