Friday, September 16, 2005

Complex or Easily Led?

I am an interesting mix of two distinct opposites. Sometimes I think this is a good thing, allowing me to play each situation as it requires. Other times, I think I am just too wishy-washy to pick one personality trait and stick with it.

First, I am one of those eager-to-please kinds. When someone asks something of me, I want to do it right. I often have the urge to show my work to someone of authority so they can give me a cookie. I like praise and I like taking the expectations of my higher-ups and blowing them away. I am terrified of being caught doing something wrong and I HATE being chastised or punished.

On the other hand, I often have an overwhelming urge to rebel. I question the motives and methods of those in authority and make smart-alecky comments about them. I will go out of my way to challenge those who try to control me and I am not afraid of what they will say when I do.

These two halves are so carefully balanced that it only takes one other person to sway me one way or the other. If I am partnered with a goodie-goodie, then I am going to be the most focused, hard-working person in the room. If I am sitting with another rebel, I will spend my time questioning, critisizing, and challenging. From the post below, can you guess what kind of person was at my table today?

No comments: