Thursday, September 15, 2005

Thought Luck

I have been swearing way too much. I think I need to cut back before I accidentally say something I shouldn't in my classroom.


My headcold seems to be just about gone. However, it also seems that I cannot experience a headcold without later experiencing breathing troubles. I am going to be breaking out the inhaler soon, as my chest is feeling quite tight.


Because I have a computer lab time while the computer lady is there, I am absolutely enjoying going to computers this year. She's wonderful.


One of the radio stations I listen to doesn't use disk jockeys. They play music and they play commercials. Nothing else.


My students have each picked a higher level vocabulary word to describe themselves, such as erudite, empathetic, or dynamic. As an example, I picked my own adjective - methodical. The other day while I was explaining something, one of my students said, "You really are methodical, Mrs. Hommel." It made me laugh.


I've started counting my calories again. I am resigned to not being able to get below a certain plateau number, but I refuse to go above it. Things I have learned from counting calories:
1. Yummy stuff has lots of calories.
2. Beverages aren't worth the calories they contain. I stick with water now.
3. It is remarkably easy to go from "Hey, I'm doing good today!" to "Holy cow! How did I eat that much?" in a very short period of time.
4. I eat twice as much as I need without even thinking about it.


No kids at school tomorrow. That makes it simultaneously less stressful and less interesting.


Mikey is reviewing a game called Water Bugs for his Monthly Roundup. It is FUN, FUN, FUN. I would try to discribe it to you, but I can't think of how. There's a board and you have to fill in sections by closing them off from the main section. When you fill in enough, you win. Think Jezball or Qix.


I am going to a book award ceremony/dinner/trade show thingy on Saturday. It has been hinted that there will be free books given away. I will be seriously disappointed if those rumors turn out to be false. Unless the veggie meal I ordered is good and the speakers intelligent. Then it might be worth it afterall. We'll see.


My grandmother is in the nursing home. She's not doing well. Her health is holding up alright, but the anxiety and depression have taken their toll on her mind. It stinks.

No comments: