Sunday, July 27, 2003

Venomous Kate posted a lengthy and thought-provoking rant about what women want and why they get angry when they don't get it. Although I understand much of what Kate posted, I also understand the comment of a fellow reader. "You wanted everything. You got everything. Now you find out you can't handle it." This goes for all people, not just women. We, as a race, are continuously striving to have more than we have. When we find ourselves stretched too thin, it is time to re-evaluate our lives and find a new balance. Hopefully, this is something that can be done WITH your family, rather than IN SPITE OF them.

I have often been asked why I am choosing not to have children. I think one of the major deciding factors is my fear that I will end up like Kate. I don't want to give up the life I currently bask in - complete with kitties, perfect job and wonderful marriage - for life with more rewards that I can't enjoy because of added responsibilities. I don't want to end up resenting my husband and my children and my students. I see what happens to people who take on more than they can handle and I don't want to submit myself to that kind of pain.

I feel for people who wake up one day to find themselves in a life that is more work than fun. I don't envy them the job of balancing an overwhelming load. I sympathize with Kate and all the others and I hope that someday they can bask in the joys of life once again.

No comments: