Sunday, May 08, 2005

Gender Roles

This morning I spent 2 hours shopping at Kohl's, courtesy of my wonderful class. They gave me a $75 gift certificate for Teacher Appreciation Week! I loaded my cart up and came home with a pile of new, summery clothes to replace the ones I got rid of when I cleaned out my closet recently. I felt very girly as I tried on outfit after outfit, color coordinating and trying to stretch my dollars as far as they would go. (My cardinal clothing rule: It MUST be wearable with multiple things already found in my closet.)

Then, this afternoon, I spent 4 hours or so repainting the trim, fence, and porch of our house. Our stupid HOA can take a flying leap, because my house is BEAUTIFUL now. And I did it because I wanted to, NOT because they told me to! So there. Anyway, I felt very macho as I ordered the paint at Home Depot and as I stood on the ladder, painting my little heart out. Even more so as I trimmed the hedge and climbing vines afterward.

I had fun balancing the yin and yang of my personalities into a productive, happy human being today.

No comments: