Saturday, May 21, 2005

What's Happenin'?

The Good

** We have received another offer on the house. We just signed the counter-offer (they thought they could drop the price AND include all the appliances? I think NOT) for our agent to fax back to them. We'll see what happens. Mikey predicted that we would get an offer today. Perhaps some of his mother's psychic ability is genetic? I know not to count my chickens until the bird is in my hand, but this basket seems to be pretty sturdy. Hehe.

** We have entered my favorite part of the whole school year - the post-testing coast. This is the time of year when I get to do fun things with my kids. I can focus on the social/emotional aspects of my room again, as well as spending more time on music/art/creativity. I don't have to feel guilty for reading a book that isn't on the "required" list, so I can share literature that means something to me on a gut level. We are reading a book called Bud, not Buddy right now and I am having a blast talking about things like Jazz, the Great Depression, orphans, politics, and social issues of the early 1900's. Not technically 4th grade curriculum, but boy are my kids eating it up! Interest, attention spans, and comprehension scores are all through the roof in room 6 these days!

** The $20 and 3 hours I spent Rug Doctoring our carpets is paying off. The agent said we could take the $2500 carpet allowance off the listing. Of course, that is only necessary if the current offer falls through.

The Bad

** The weather switch has definitely been switched to "SUMMER!". Normallly, this would be a good thing, but when you are stuck in a room with 30 sweaty pre-pubecents who haven't yet started wearing deoderant, but have recently starting smelling like teenagers, it can be a bad thing. I have the AC in my room cranked up extra high after recess and lunch! Phew!

** I was told by the termite inspector that my garden was preventing him from completing his inspection. He said he would come back after we had removed the part that was up against the house. In other words, the corn (recently tassled), the beans (just starting little beans) and the sunflowers (soon to bloom) have to go, along with the little oregano, basil, and parsley plants. The 1/2 of the garden that is actually doing well! Grrr. Our agent is going to do some investigating to see if there is something we can do to salvage at least part of it.

The Ugly

** My aunt Kate was in and out of Mayo last week and has talked to several doctors, and the news is not improving much. The cancer has been found in several locations, some worse than others, and surgery has been postponed until chemo is shown to be effective. There are still some inquiries out there, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. My mind is still boggling at the very thought of what she and her family are going through. I wish I were able to do something besides hoping and praying.

** Our nephew, Trey, is having an MRI in early June because of some funny results from a blood test. I'm trying not to worry too much about this one until after we have more information. I have that luxury because I am just an auntie. I feel horrible for his mother who, I'm sure, is stressed out to the max with having to wait for this test. If I were her, I would be camping out on the doctor's doorstep until he did it. I'm sure that is what she wants to do.

So, there it is...all the news that's fit to print. I have been wanting to call several people for several weeks and things just keep piling up. If you haven't heard from me lately, I hope you know that it isn't because I'm not thinging about you. (Enough negatives in that sentence?) Soon, it will be summer and I will be bugging everyone I know just to keep from tearing my hair out with boredom!

No comments: