Saturday, May 07, 2005

Science Fiction and Movies

I have been reading a lot of Sci-Fi collections lately. It is remarkable how the quality differs from one to the next. Sadly, some very best ideas are coupled with some of the worst writing I have ever come across.

We watched a Sci-Fi movie called Primer the other night and my head is still spinning. It is a "time machine" story. I am always intrigued by the idea of time travel, but I can never wrap my head around the time-line of it. Too confusing. But if you like that kind of thing, I would definitely recommend the movie. It was made on a very small budget and I think it was done well. Of course, I couldn't follow most of what was going on...so take my advise with a grain of salt!

We also watched Hitchhiker's Guide recently. I am a HUGE fan of the book, and I was highly amused by the BBC mini-series. The new movie was funny (using lots of quotes right out of the book) and stuck to the original story pretty well, but it wasn't mind-blowing. I would recommend seeing it for a good laugh, but I woudn't recommend paying full theater price for it. See it in second-run theaters, as a matinee, or rent it from NetFlix. But don't go in expecting too much.

No comments: