Friday, June 22, 2007

Whirlwind

I know it's no big shock to stop by here and not see a post, but this time I have a good excuse. Really!

I spent the week of June 11th finishing out the school year. I managed to get my 33 chickadees graduated and moved on successfully, thanks to some excellent work on their part and not a few sleepless nights on my part. I am thrilled to see them heading off to the next leg of that adventure called "Life", but I am going to miss them terribly. I have never shared so much with a class, and that tight bond makes for a more painful separation. I'm pretty sure many of them will keep in touch, though.

Immediately upon dismissal, Mikey and I kicked it into high gear to finish packing and labeling the contents of my room. I would have left it until later, but since I didn't want to miss out on having my boxes moved for me, I figured I better get it done. (For those who don't know yet, I was finally offered a position (actually, THE position) in the district for next year. More on that later.) We packed and stacked until 5 pm, when we headed down to the San Diego airport so that I could catch my flight to Virginia/Washington, D.C.

The trip was great. We had a group of 49 (I was the official headcounter.), including students from all four 5th grade classes, three teachers, and a bunch of parents. We all managed to get there, enjoy ourselves tremendously, and get back safely. All, that is, except one of the teachers (not me) who tripped in a hole and broke her foot on the first night. I took a million pictures, which I will share with you as soon as I get them uploaded, and bought many books/games/etc. to help me with my teaching in the upcoming year. We returned late Wednesday evening, and I am just now getting my sleep back to normal. It's amazing how sleep deprived one can get on a 5 day trip!

Now that I am back and all the school stuff is done for a while, I am getting to work on several different projects. I am continuing to move forward with Esquela del Sol, although I am relying more on my partner in crime than originally planned. We had our first "official" meeting of the minds yesterday at Starbucks. (I felt like a true entrepreneur, sitting there with my tall, mocha frapp!) I am going to be starting Spanish lessons next Tuesday, as well as continuing to work on my masters program. So that I don't spend the entire summer working, I already have plans for plays, stand-up comedy, a couple of dance recitals, regular trips to the beach and the movies, and a baseball game (Little League).

No comments: