Sunday, January 01, 2006

Making Space for the New Year

Is there anyone else out there who feels compelled to clean around the New Year? Every New Year's Day finds me scrubbing floors and dusting shelves and cleaning out corners of my house to which I normally turn a blind eye. There is something about starting the year off neat and tidy that feels right to me.

Speaking of the new year, the other day I was thinking that it would be a good practice to choose something you would like to have more of or improve on in the new year and make sure you are doing that thing as the clock ticks over to 12:01 on January first. I just had the feeling that the powers that be are watching and seeing what you find important at such a powerful time. Of course, I then forgot that I had thought that and found myself driving when 2006 made its big debut. I'm not really crazy about the thought of more driving - although the Jetta does make it more enjoyable.

Finally, New Year's is the time for goals and resolutions. I have yet to formally write them out, but my goals definitely include finishing (or making good progress on) my masters program, making sure that I am working in a job that makes me happy (there is potential for change at my school that will require that I think carefully before making any decisions), and continuing to work on home improvements - including, but not limited to building a garden, planting fruit trees, completing the gutter work, and doing something about the nasty ruts in our driveway.

What about you? What are your plans for 2006?

No comments: