Saturday, March 31, 2007

20 in 20 Challenge

I am quite intrigued by the idea of the 20 pounds in 20 weeks challenge. As you can see, I have added it to my sidebar. If you are interested in joining, just let me know. You can email me or just post a comment here.

I will add each participant and their finish date to the sidebar, along with two sets of numbers. The ratio will be how many out of 20 pounds you have to go. For example, I have lost 3 of my 20 so I would see 17/20. The second number (in parenthesis, like this) will show the change from the previous week. For example, if you had lost 15 of your 20, but you gained 2 pounds in the last week you would show up like this:

8.18.07 - Mr. Example 7/20 (+2)

This shows that you have 7 pounds left to reach your goal and you are up 2 from last week.

You will be responsible for weighting yourself each week and emailing or posting your results so I can update the sidebar. Let's say today is the start date, so we should update each Saturday. You can either just send your current weight (and let me do the math) or you can calculate your numbers and send me that. That way there is no comparison of weights between us. It's the progress that matters, not the actual numbers.

Speaking of what matters, please remember that we are working toward health here. Use weight loss strategies that will actually benefit you in the long run. Some things I try to keep in mind:

1. Watch your triggers. There are many things that make us 'think' we are hungry when we're not.
  • Are you thirsty?
  • Are you tired/bored/upset?
  • Is your internal clock set going off at the wrong time?

2. Watch your intake.
Many foods provide numerous calories without really being beneficial.
  • Beverages - Most are heavy on the calories, while light on nutrients. Try to drink a glass of water instead. If this is a trouble area for you, make a goal of sticking to water for at least one meal.
  • Snacks - It is a good idea to eat small snacks through-out the day to avoid feelings of denial or overwhelming hunger. The problem is that many handy snacks are high calorie. Try to keep fresh fruits or veggies available for snack times. And don't forget that dips will pack on the pounds quickly.
  • Cut the Fat - I rely on dairy products for most of my proteins. This means I collect calories pretty quickly if I am not careful. I avoid this by purchasing as much as possible in a reduced fat or no fat alternative. You end up sacrificing some flavor, but most of the time it's not so bad. You can always save the good stuff for special occasions.
  • Keep Track - This is the thing that helps me the most. Write down everything that you eat. And I mean EVERYTHING! It is amazing how many calories you ingest without even realizing it. Putting it down in a journal makes you more aware.
3. Watch your activity level. We eat to provide fuel for our bodies. The more active we are, the more fuel we burn. You want to lose weight faster? Get active. You want to eat more without gaining weight? Get active! I know that it's hard to find the time. Here's what I do:
  • TV Time - do sit-ups or lift weights while you watch
  • Get Help - Just like this challenge might help you stick to your diet, having a buddy helps you stick to your exercise plan. Make it a social event and call up your friends.
  • Double Up - Mikey and I walk laps around our property when I get home. This covers three of our needs at one time - interact with the dogs, get exercise, and share the events of the day.
I am officially starting today, so get your numbers in as soon as possible. Also, feel free to make suggestions for improvement. I'm thinking maybe we should have a prize for those who make their goal? What do you think?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sign me up! I will calculate my numbers. Just as a statement about my weightloss efforts, I will not use any dietary supplements nor consume fewer calories than recommended for nursing mommies. Just a statement.

(But I tend to be a work-out-aholic, so I might loose more than 20 lbs in 20 weeks, but it will be under good conditions)(plus I have plenty to loose so 20 lbs or more would be wonderful)

Starting my countdown today!

Namaste
Amber H.

Solange Hommel said...

We are making no judgements here. Only support. You can do whatever you feel necessary for your personal health. :)

Anonymous said...

kk, count me and my friend jen in. she's offered to help kick my butt back into workouts that I've been neglecting.

Anonymous said...

I can't think of anything better than loosing weight for a prize. Sure, a million dollars would be excellent but that's not possible. :) Sadly so.

And as for my weight tally today, three pounds lost. Thanks!

Lady A