Friday, March 30, 2007

Vacation Events

I am on vacation, so I can't talk about my class. And I can't use my class as an excuse not to do anything else. So...what have I been up to? Let's take a peek into the life of the free-range teacher.

1. Masters coursework - I haven't actually written a single word, but I have read 2 long, boring chapters. I believe myself to be fully prepared to start writing the essays that go along with them. I'll be getting right on that. Any day now...

2. Pet Parenting - It's great fun sitting in the sun, lounging with the dogs while I read my tedious text. Almost makes it worthwhile. The dogs are loving it, and so am I.

3. Kingdom of Loathing - This is an online game that is just addictive enough to suck up several hours a day. I excuse myself by claiming that it helps me relate better to the folks on Mikey's business forum. They are all avid players, and it is really my responsibility to help make them feel welcome, right? I need to be able to participate in their conversations, right? You're totally buying this, right? Riiiiiight.

4. Dieting - Having reached a point 10 pounds over my "I can live with this" weight and 20 pounds over my "I am happy like this" weight, I have put myself on a restricted calorie diet. Not too restricted. I am not starving myself, but I am keeping track of everything that goes into my mouth in an attempt to shame myself from the habit of eating when I am bored or tired or happy or breathing. For the most part, it means that I am drinking way more water and eating way more fruits and veggies. This has to be a good thing. I am also trying to be more active (lest you think I don't understand the importance of a balanced lifestyle). We'll see what happens.

5. Hobbies - I am 1/2 way done with a purty red scarf. I started making it to put in the classroom auction I have every year, but I'm kind of liking the way it is turning out. Perhaps I will keep it. Or perhaps one of YOU will receive it unexpectedly one day. I am also about 1/2 done with a crocheted blanket. I didn't realize what an arduous project this would be when I started it, but now that I am past the 1/2 way mark, I am feeling pretty good about finishing it. It was begun about...2 years ago. At this rate, it should be done sometime in...oh...April 2009.

6. Cooking - Carrot Ginger soup is yummy. I had some the other day at a restaurant and decided to make a batch for at home. Not being very focused at the time, and forgetting that ground ginger and ginger root were not 1:1 equivalent, I ended up with more of a Ginger Carrot soup. We threw in some extra cream (shhhh...don't tell my diet) and some rice, and it mellowed out enough to be enjoyable. I will do better next time.


That's about it. I have also been watching too many hours of Veronica Mars, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Angel, Law and Order, and numerous movies of varying quality. What have YOU been up to?

No comments: